CURRENT RANKINGS & ACHIEVEMENTS
UK league table rankings
- 20th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024
- 16th overall and 1st for Electronic and Electrical Engineering - with a total of 13 of subject areas in the top 10 in The Guardian University Guide 2023
- These rankings make us the Top UK University in Malaysia.
International league table rankings
- 81st in the QS World University Rankings (2024)
- Twelve subjects in the top 100 globally: Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering (51); Electrical & Electronic Engineering (72).
- 97th in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2024 and 11th among UK universities listed. Explore the full World University Rankings and UK Best Universities
- 11th in Times Higher Education's (THE) 'Golden Age' universities 2020 - the top 200 institutions founded as universities between 1945 and 1967. Southampton is second among the UK universities featured. Learn more at timeshighereducation.com
The National Student Survey (NSS) gathers feedback from mainly final-year undergraduates about their time in UK universities. Highlights from the NSS 2020 results include:
- 84.7% of our students were satisfied with the overall quality of their course
- 84.5% of our students were satisfied with the teaching on their course
- 85.8% of our students were satisfied with the learning resources provided by the University
- 89.3% of our students agreed that staff were good at explaining things
- 87.7% of our students agreed that their course was intellectually stimulating
Research and innovation excellence
We are a research-intensive university, with continued substantial growth in research funding and seventh in the UK for the total value of The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) grants. We are also a founding partner of SETsquared, the university business incubator ranked number one in the world by UBI Global.
According to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021:
- 92 per cent of our research is world leading or internationally excellent, which assessed the quality of research in UK higher education institutions
- we are in the top 10 per cent of UK universities and fourth in the Russell Group for impact demonstrating the real-world benefit of our research
- over 97 per cent of our research environment is world-leading or internationally excellent