Assess risk and uncertainty using mathematical and statistical methods
Bachelor of Science in Economics and Actuarial Science
Actuarial science uses mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk and uncertainty. Actuaries are essential in industries such as insurance and finance.
You’ll study core modules in microeconomics, macroeconomics and quantitative methods. Optional modules will let you shape your studies around your interests or career plans.
These include international trade, survival models or public economics.
Full time in Malaysia
Why Study this Course
Year 1 will expose you to the foundation in Mathematics and statistical techniques such as optimisation and hypothesis testing. You will also study Macroeconomics to learn about measures of GDP, inflation and unemployment, and concepts used in Microeconomics.
You will deepen your understanding in Economics in Year 2 by studying both Macroeconomics and Microeconomics alongside Econometrics and Applied Statistics.
In your final year, you can choose to write a dissertation in an economics or demography topic of your choice.
Typical Course Content
- Economics with Experiments
- Linear Algebra I
- Mathematics for Economics
- Foundations of Microeconomics OR Principles of Microeconomics
- Economics with Data
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Quantitative Modelling in Economics
- Statistics for Economics
- Economics Skills and Employability,
- Econometric Theory
- Financial Mathematics
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Intermediate Microeconomics
- ECON Dissertation: Prelim Info
- Econometrics with Big Data
- Economics Skills and Employability 2
- Accounting and Finance for Non-Specialists (Actuarial Science)
- Stochastic Processes (Actuarial Science)
- Development Economics
- Dynamic Macroeconomics
- Applied Economics
- Dissertation: Literature Review OR Project/Dissertation
- Dissertation: Research Project OR Dissertation: Research Topics
- Economics Skills and Employability 3
- Actuarial Mathematics I (Actuarial Science)
- Computational Economics (Actuarial Science)
- Survival Models (Actuarial Science)
- Actuarial Mathematics II (Actuarial Science)
- Mathematical Finance (Actuarial Science)
- Statistical Methods in Insurance (Actuarial Science)
- Labour Economics
- Principles of Finance
- Topics in Macroeconomics
- International Trade
- International Macroeconomics
- Public Economics
Fee and Scholarships
We offer up to 100% scholarships. Chat with our counsellors to understand your options.Learn More
These are our typical offers. We are able to exercise some discretion if you do not meet these requirements. Please contact us for an assessment of your predicted and/or confirmed grades.Learn More
University of Southampton degrees are highly valued by employers and studying with us will equip you with the skills to operate globally.
- Investment analysts
- Financial advisers
- Business analysts
- Marketing professionals
- Ernst & Young (EY)
- PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)
- Proctor & Gamble
- Times Group
Scholarships up to 100% and education grants are available. Terms & Conditions apply.